Monday, August 8, 2011

Black Bean Burgers

I think I stole this recipe from a magazine or maybe I got it off of the back of a can of beans.  I really can't remember, but what I do know is that both of my kids eat these quite happily & they make a mean taco burger.  Happy Meatless Monday!

Here's What You Need:
  • 15 oz can of black beans (drained)
  • 1 medium onion, cut into hunks
  • 1 TBS chili powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • salt/pepper to taste (I don't add any)
  • 1 TBS olive oil

Here's What You Do:
  1. Put all ingredients except olive oil in food processor & pulse until chunky, but not purreed.  Add water 1 TBS at a time if it is too dry or not sticking together--should be moist, but not wet.
  2. Let rest in the fridge for a few minutes (I like it to be really cold & usually mix together around lunch & let set in fridge until dinner).
  3. With wet hands, shape into patties & refridgerate for 15-20 minutes.
  4. Heat large skillet & add oil to coat the bottom of the pan.  When hot, add patties & cook until browned on one side--about 5 minutes.  Turn carefully & cook other side unil firm & browned, about another 5 minutes.

Here's What I Have Learned That May Be Useful:
  • Makes 5 large patties or 6 smaller ones.  The cooked patties freeze beautifully.
  • The egg was not part of the original recipe, I added it to help it stick together better.  I have NEVER had to add any water to these & mine always seem a little runnier than I would like.  Perhaps if I was patient & really rinsed & dried the beans well I wouldn't need the egg?  Experiment as you see fit.
  • As has previously been made quite clear, I am lazy.  As such, I don't ever "shape into patties," mostly because it would gross me out.  I just spoon the goop onto the skillet & use the spoon to quickly shape/smoosh.
  • I have a large electric skillet & it works great for these so that I can cook all of the patties at the same time & not have any sitting getting cold.
  • As mentioned, this makes a killer taco burger (inspired by the one at Hickory Park for all of you central Iowa folks).  I put a dallop of fat free greek yogurt, a slice of cheese, a few black olives, lettuce & a smear of salsa on mine.  Sometimes I toss a couple of baked tortilla chips on top of the stack if I'm feeling crazy.
Back to A Weighty-y Life

No comments:

Post a Comment