Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shrimp Fried Rice

I got this recipe from a friend at Curves.  It is delish...even my fish-phobic husband doesn't mind it!  With a little bit of planning, it's super-easy, too.

Here's What You Need:
  • 1 tsp minced garlic (or one clove fresh minced--which of course, I didn't do)
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger (I believe the original recipe called for fresh, but I don't care for ginger, so I sub'ed a small amount of ground)
  • 6 oz fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
  • 1 cup snow peas, sliced into strips
  • 15 oz canned baby corn, drained
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 8 oz cooked shrimp, peeled & de-veined
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
  • 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 cup scallions, thinly sliced
  • 4 Tbs sesame oil, divided

Here's What You Do:
  1. In a large, deep skillet over med-high heat, heat 1 Tbs of the oil.  Add the garlic & ginger & saute for 1 minute.  Add the mushrooms & cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender.  Add the peas & baby corn & saute for 1 minute.
  2. Push all ingredients to the sides of the pan & add the eggs.  Stir to break up while it cooks. 
  3. Add the shrimp & the remaining 3 Tbs of oil.  Cook until heated through, about 1 minute more.  Add the rice & cook until slightly browned & crispy, about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in the soy sauce & scallions & serve.

Here's What I Have Learned That Might Help:
  • Makes 6 servings.
  • Preparation is key.  I cook the rice the night before so it has time to chill.  I also use frozen, pre-cooked shrimp that just needs to be thawed in the fridge overnight.  When I'm ready to start cooking I get everything out so that my kitchen looks like a cooking show with everything measured out in little bowls.  This helps me keep the process moving once I'm started.
  • Use the biggest skillet/wok you have.  I don't have a wok.  The first couple of times I used a 10" skillet with a tall edge., & then I discovered my electric skillet.  While not authentically an Asian preparation, the bigger surface area works really well for crisping up the rice.
  • This freezes really well for lunch leftovers!

Back to A Weight-y Life Main Page

No comments:

Post a Comment