Here's What You Need:
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-style
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 medium raw eggplant
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup Kraft 2% milk reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a medium-size bowl; set aside. Remove skin from eggplant and trim off ends; slice eggplant into 3 slices (approx 1/2-inch-thick).
- Dip eggplant first into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture. Bake eggplant on a nonstick cookie sheet until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once.
- Place a layer of eggplant on bottom of prepared baking dish, then add 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers in same order. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Slice into 4 pieces and serve.
- I use plain canned tomato sauce so that it doesn't have any extra cheese or oil in it. To make up for it, I add a couple of shakes of Italian seasoning to the sauce.
- Sometimes I cut the three slabs of eggplant into 4 pieces each so that I can build individual serving stacks & not have to slice it once it is all assembled & cooked. It started as an accident & turned into a time saver.